Even to us geezers, social media is nothing new.
In fact, I recently discovered that I’ve been on Facebook for over four presidential administrations. An entire generation (going on two) has grown up not knowing a world without some form of social media.
So why is it still so hard for some publishers (heck, any creatives) to get social media for their enterprises right?
As much as we love to romanticize the solitary writer lost in their world of words, the reality is, your brand needs social media like a book needs a reader.
So, let’s dive into the art of social media branding – it’s time to make your mark in the virtual world, one post, one tweet, one share at a time.
VISUAL BRANDING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
First impressions are everything, and on social media, your visuals are your handshake. We’ve talked about the importance of visuals regarding your KDP work in general and I’m sure you’ve all followed our lead. However, most of you are still not truly leveraging social media beyond the occasional “Look what I did!” post or text announcement.
Just as your book’s cover needs to get people’s attention from across the room, your social media needs to stop a potential reader from scrolling.
- Beyond Book Art: Sure, your book cover is a masterpiece, but there’s more to your visual arsenal. Think unique frames, eye-catching icons, and imagery that goes beyond the cover art to tell the story of your brand.
- Cohesive Brand Across Platforms: Your visual branding should be like your writing style – distinctive and consistent. Whether it’s Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or )God help us) TikTok, your visuals should scream ‘you’ at first glance.
ENGAGING WITH VIDEO CONTENT
If a picture is worth a thousand words, imagine the worth of a video in the social media economy. Videos are like the fast lane on the social media highway – they get you to your audience quicker and more effectively.
- Author Talks and Personal Messages: Get personal. A video of you discussing your book, sharing writing tips, or just rambling about your author journey can create a powerful connection.
- Using Stock Imagery and Animated Text: Here’s where tools like Canva come in handy. Create engaging visual stories to complement your written ones.
- Crafting Book Trailers: Think movie trailers but for your books. They’re engaging, they’re shareable, and they can be a game-changer in your marketing strategy.
CRAFTING YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA VOICE
Your words are your wand in the social media world; wield them wisely.
- Consistent Voice Across Platforms: Whether it’s a tweet, a post, or a caption, your voice should be unmistakably yours. It’s about finding the right balance between professionalism and personality.
- Balancing Sales and Conversation: Nobody likes a constant sales pitch. Mix it up. Share interesting tidbits about your writing process, ask questions, start discussions – be engaging, not just selling.
PRACTICAL TACTICS FOR COMPREHENSIVE CROSS-PLATFORM
A consistent brand across various platforms is like having a reliable GPS for your social media journey.
- Adapting Content for Different Platforms: Each social media platform has its strengths. Instagram is visual, Twitter is concise, Facebook is conversational. Adapt your content to fit the platform while keeping your brand’s core intact.
- Success Stories of Cross-Platform Branding: Look at authors who’ve mastered this art. How do they tweak their message for different platforms? What can you learn from them?
- Get Outside Your Comfort Zone: People choose a social media platform because they feel it serves their unique personality, safety, etc. If any of the above platforms make you uneasy, that’s good – that’s growth.
Here are some do’s and don’ts to keep in mind:
- Effective Branding Do’s and Don’ts:
- Do engage with your audience regularly.
- Don’t spam your followers with just book links.
- Do use high-quality visuals.
- Don’t forget to update all your social media profiles consistently.
- Avoiding Common Pitfalls: One major pitfall is inconsistency – in your posting schedule, in your messaging, in your visual branding. Stay consistent, stay relevant.
- Tools for Enhancing Your Presence: Utilize tools like Hootsuite for scheduling, The Book Bolt Studio for designing, and analytics tools provided by each platform to understand your audience better.
Engaging Your Audience and Building a Community
Social media isn’t just about broadcasting; it’s about building a community. That means engaging. If you’re the kind of author we described up top, who likes the romantic, solitary life of the author, this is going to require working a different set of muscles.
- Create Interactive Content: Polls, questions, teasers, behind-the-scenes – these are your tools for engagement. Get your audience talking, sharing, and feeling part of your author journey.
- Build a Loyal Following: When you engage genuinely, you build a community around your brand. Your readers become more than just customers; they become part of your story.
So there you have it – your guide to making social media an integral part of your KDP branding strategy. It’s not just about shouting into the void; it’s about creating a voice that resonates, connects, and stays with your audience. In the world of KDP, your brand is more than just your books; it’s the story you tell, the community you build, and the connections you make. Go forth and conquer the social media realm with the same passion you pour into your books!
Got a social media win to share? Or maybe a lesson learned the hard way? I’m all ears, as a famous writer once said. –